Size and speed make large trucks the most dangerous vehicles on the road. Accidents often result in very serious injury or death to motorists involved in a collision with a semi or other large commercial truck. Even low-speed impacts can have catastrophic results. The Arizona trucking accident attorneys at Abels & Annes fight for the rights of motorists injured or killed in these complex cases.
Nationwide, more than 380,000 truck accidents killed 4,229 people and injured 90,000 motorists in 2008, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Three–quarters of those killed in trucking accidents were occupants of smaller vehicles involved in the crash.
Accidents involving trucks can occur for a number of different reasons. While often these accidents are caused by ordinary negligence, there are sometimes other factors to consider:
Driver Fatigue: Sometimes truckers drive for long periods of time without stopping so they can make their deliveries on schedule. This can result in inattentiveness and/or fatigue. Truck drivers have to follow federal regulations that state the maximum number of hours a trucker can drive per day and per week, the maximum consecutive hours a trucker can be on-the-job per day, and the minimum consecutive hours a driver must be off duty between shifts.
Trucking equipment failure and defects: With so many trucks on the road in Arizona, accidents are going to occur. However, sometimes collisions take place due to mechanical issues such as defective steering or breaks, or problems with lights, turn signals or tires. Sometimes truckers do not timely replace brakes and tires in an attempt to reduce operating costs. This behavior can create dangerous conditions for other drivers on the roads. Hazardous conditions also occur when truck drivers failed to perform simple tasks such as replacing burned-out light bulbs on turn signals. Unfortunately a truck driver's failure to maintain equipment can lead to serious motor vehicle collisions in the Phoenix area.
Medically, trucking accidents often involve very serious injuries, including traumatic head injuries, spinal cord injuries, broken bones, severe burns, crush injuries or loss of limbs, disability and death. At Abels & Annes, we will work to ensure you are receiving the medical treatment you need and are compensated for lost wages, pain and suffering, medical bills, rehabilitation, disability and possible future medical complications that may result from your injuries.
Legally, trucking accidents are some of the most complex cases handled by Arizona injury attorneys. Frequently, these cases involve out–of–state drivers, truck owners, leasing companies and insurance companies. Determining those responsible for a trucking accident is critical to protecting your rights and winning the compensation you and your family deserve. Causes of a trucking accident can include an inexperienced or unqualified driver; a driver operating a semi under the influence of alcohol or drugs; logbook violations or accidents caused by tired truckers operating beyond the legal hours permitted by law; poorly maintained equipment; aggressive driving and operator error; or weight and load violations.
The trucking industry is heavily regulated by state and federal laws, specifically because of the dangers large trucks pose to other motorists on the road. Our review of the case will help determine whether the truck was being operated in violation of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations, including:
- Size and weight restrictions
- Height and width limits
- Drug and alcohol testing procedures
- Registration and insurance requirements
- Accident investigation practices and procedures
- Logbook and record requirements
- Hazardous material requirements
- Commercial driving standards
- Hours of service rules
- Equipment and safety regulations
- Inspection and maintenance requirements
At Abels & Annes, our accident lawyers have the necessary medical, legal and financial resources to thoroughly investigate the causes of your accident, evaluate your current and future medical needs, determine the at–fault parties responsible for the accident, review the insurance available, and fight for the compensation you deserve to help ensure the future financial well–being of you and your family.
Our Arizona injury lawyers and wrongful death attorneys believe anyone dealing with a serious or fatal trucking accident deserves good and dedicated legal representation.
Call (855) PHX–LAWYER for a Free and Confidential Appointment to discuss your rights.
- Safety authorities to combat aggressive driving in effort to reduce Phoenix car accidents, Arizona trucking accidents The Arizona Department of Public Safety is participating in Operation Safe Driver this week (Oct. 17 to 23) by focusing on aggressive driving by both ....
- More than half of all Arizona drunk driving accidents involve car accidents in Phoenix A total of 29,282 Phoenix car accidents claimed 142 lives and injured 9,714 in 2009, according to statistics being released by the Arizona Department ....
- Phoenix car crash caused by Mercedes traveling 100 mph on Interstate 10 AZCentral.com is reporting that a Phoenix car vs. truck accident shut down Interstate 10 Westbound for around four hours on Thursday morning. The ....